Saturday, October 2, 2010

Life Happens

I haven't blogged in forever. Life has been beyond crazy. Work consumes my life. If I'm not grading papers or creating lesson plans, I'm working on football highlight videos.

The school year started out wonderfully. My classes are amazing. I have a great group of kids. I have even "adopted" a new little brother.

Then tragedy struck. Last Friday night our coach, a legend, passed out on the sidelines. He had coached at our school for 42 years and won 317 games, including 2 state titles. He had been in bad health for a while and actually had an appointment with his cardiologist this past Tuesday. They took him to the hospital by ambulance after half time. We had gotten reports Saturday that he was doing well and was going to be in the hospital until they ran all of their tests on him. He died from a massive heart attack Saturday night.

Needless to say this past week has probably been the most stressful and exhausting week of my entire life. Seeing all of my students mourn the loss of a man most of them saw as a father-figure has been life altering. I have spent most of the week at the school and I am completely drained. I was in charge of making the video for his memorial. I had a few complete - crying, screaming, cursing like a sailor, hitting -meltdowns while working on that.

Football is life in the town where I work. You can't say Newton, Texas without thinking football and Coach Barbay. I was privileged to work beside this legend. My husband and I are honored that we got to share the sidelines with this great man this football season. There will never be another man like Curtis Barbay.

Last night was our first football game since losing Coach. We lost. We don't lose. It was so hard being on the sidelines and not hearing that voice. I'm glad, however, we now have that game behind us.

On the band front...I learned that stress causes serious tightness and I really haven't eaten much all week. We did stop at a little burger dive on our way to the game last night. I ate about three or four bites of my patty. We stopped by the store for some batteries and I PB'ed for the FIRST TIME in the parking lot. How attractive!!! Then, at the game I gulped some water too fast and BAM I was spewing on the sidelines in front of the entire stadium. DOUBLE ATTRACTIVE. I think this last fill I got (about 3 weeks ago) is the bomb.com

Now I'm off to stress about whether or not I left all of my ungraded papers at school or in my truck - which my hubby has this morning. AND grades are due Monday. F my life.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you are having a hard time of late.
    Hope things look a little brighter soon.
    I've had a couple of PB moments but fortunately none in public (as yet)
    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete